In a recent blog on Foliomag.com the founder of Next Step Publishing, David Mammano, provides an interesting insight in sharing his top ten reasons why print should remain a vital part of the marketing mix.
1. Print is a lead-generation tool. Used correctly, print drives leads to the prospective funnel. Good print vehicles have a mechanism to deliver targeted leads to their advertisers. So at the very least, print is a unique and effective lead-generation tool.
2. You can pass along print, and it has longevity. Magazines get shared in businesses, households and among friends.
3. Readers are receptive to print. Fact: People remember effective print ads. Magazine ads have the second highest receptivity of any media, second only to TV.
4. Print drives users to other platforms. The Retail Advertising and Marketing Association says 47.2 per cent of shoppers are most likely to start an online search after viewing a magazine ad. Our research shows more than 75 per cent of nextSTEPmag.com users type in the URL directly - which they likely found in the magazine.
5. Print sways trendsetters. Those who influence other consumers are themselves influenced by print. This influence ranking, from a third party driven Next Step poll, shows magazines in first place at 61 per cent with in-store and TV trailing at 58 and 55 per cent.
6. Print travels. A magazine is your companion wherever you go: your favourite chair, your bed, an airplane - even the bathroom.
7. Print readers are focused. In this world of multi-taskers (texting, emailing and listening to iPod while watching TV), it's hard for advertisers to get noticed. But according to a Ball State University survey, magazines are the exclusive or primary medium 85 per cent of the time they are used by consumers.
8. Print makes introductions. Print is a great part host; it introduces readers to a brand, and familiarises customers when it comes time for keyword purchases.
9. Print offers incredible branding. Nothing makes a brand more recognised than a glossy ad. A well designed ad engages readers, and according to a recent third party driven Next Step poll, 55 per cent of teens say they pay a lot of attention to print ads.
10. Print provides differentiation. How many of the millions of web sites have a print magazine to drive online traffic to it? The vast minority. Print provides a unique strategy to drive traffic to online marketing.
Mammano sees his company as more than one dealing in print. He sees his company as a brand having a website, an online community, an online newsletter, a social media presence and a magazine published five times per year.
OPINION/FEEDBACK TO THE EDITOR